Discover here all the actions carried out around architecture !
OŠ Starše / June 6, 2019
Pupils from grades 1 to 4 at the Marjeta Primary School went to different parts of our beautiful Slovenia. Thus, the first-graders visited our oldest Slovenian town, Ptuj, where they visited Ptuj Castle and its rich museum collection. The second-graders drove a little further to Celje, where they visited the children’s museum Herman’s den. There they visited the exhibition Earth Dance (this is an exhibition about the Earth) and the Toy Blog, which represents over 400 toys of the Slovenian and international space of different time periods. The workshop produced a postcard with pictures that mark Herman’s lair. https://www.muzej-nz-ce.si/virtualni-sprehod/ The third-graders made their way to our capital, Ljubljana, where they moved away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and ascended to the mighty medieval fortress, Ljubljana Castle. On a guided tour, they learned about life in the past and compared it with today. Fourth-graders first targeted Olimje, which is located in the municipality of Podčetrtek. They visited the Minorite Monastery and a chocolate bar there, and then took the trail to Jelenov reef. The biggest attraction for children there is definitely deer, which can move freely in a fenced farm and can be fed with corn. After a good lunch, they drove towards Rogaška Slatina, where they walked to the well and looked at the place itself. The trip ended with a stop in Rogatec, where they visited an outdoor museum.
In 1905, Madame Thébault, then a famous actress, planted a first tree on one of the cliffs of Étretat. This is the first step that will lead more than a century later to the creation of the Jardins d’Étretat.
The internationally renowned landscape architect, Alexandre Grivko, was inspired by the flora of the Normandy coast to draw a complex and fascinating course of plant sculptures. A collection of contemporary art, which fits perfectly in the architecture of the garden, paces the visitor’s journey and allows to harmoniously interweave the work of the hand of man and that of nature. The Jardins d’Étretat take place in different spaces, each with a charm of its own, but united by one and the same inspiration. This is why, whatever the angle of view, it is the impression of the strong unity of an overall pattern that dominates. The gardens finally offer the visitor an exceptional opening on the landscape which surrounds them, revealing to him an impregnable perspective on the sea, the beach and the cliffs.
A bit of history…
The city suffered great damages under the bombings; razed down in September 1944, it was one of the most stricken city in Europe: over 5 .000 people died and 12.500 buildings were destroyed over an area of 150 hectares. The city and its port, essential to the country, had to rise from their ashes while they were still hot.
The French State entrusted Auguste Perret, one of the greatest architects of his time, with the reconstruction of Le Havre. Perret was contemporary with Le Corbusier and was also his master, this humanistic architect turned concrete into a noble material, a material that he used in the same way as stone.
A reconstruction both revolutionary and humanistic
Perret fulfilled the dream of all urbanists by expressing his personal style over an area of 133 hectares. He supervised the reconstruction works of the city centre until his death in 1954 and he left a masterpiece behind him. The innovative architect created “the city in tempo, like a musical harmony”: the wide avenues and the rigorous layout of the streets give to Le Havre a monumental and poetic dimension thanks to the wide openings on to the sky and the sea.
An uncontested symbol of Le Havre’s renaissance, Saint-Joseph church is an extraordinary edifice: impressive dimensions and its trans-Atlantic style disturb traditional religious references, yet also make it one of the most remarkable constructions of the 20th century in France.
Historical events establish a landmark in all great cities. In Le Havre, Saint-Joseph church quickly achieved this desirable status despite its recent construction – the first religious celebration took place there 50 years ago. It’s true that the ambition prevailing its construction, during the feverish post-war reconstruction bestowed it with serious assets for deserving the role of flagship monument.
Obviously its resemblance with a skyscraper from a distance, either from the land or sea, a sight so familiar to admirers of New York, is not by chance. A truly votive work dedicated to the memory of the victims of the devastation of Le Havre, from the top of its 107 metres, Saint-Joseph celebrates the rebirth of a city which is France’s maritime gateway, giving this religious edifice another more profane vocation.
“L’Arche de Containers” is a work of the artist Vincent Ganivet erected quai Southampton, Le Havre, in honor of 500 years of the city.
Designed by the architect Oscar Niemeyer, this arts centre has enjoyed a new lease of life since it reopened in 2015. The main auditorium has been refitted, the acoustics improved and the square outside redesigned. The programme is packed with nationally recognised theatre productions, and dance and music events. The Petit Volcan has been completely transformed into a stunning library.
The Museum of modern art André Malraux opened in 1845. It is Le Havre’s first museum and belongs to the second generation of museums established in France in the 19th century.
The first major museum to be built in France after the Second World War, the MuMa building, which stands out for its light, transparent look and feel, is a masterpiece of modern architecture.
The museum presents a collection spanning over the 15th to 20th centuries. Modern painting comprises the majority of the collection, making MuMa one of the leading museums in France for the 1850-1920 period, and particularly Impressionist art.
MuMa possesses the largest collection of artworks by Eugène Boudin held at any public institution. Their display captures the essence of the work of this painter, who was Claude Monet’s first master.