A bit of history…
The city suffered great damages under the bombings; razed down in September 1944, it was one of the most stricken city in Europe: over 5 .000 people died and 12.500 buildings were destroyed over an area of 150 hectares. The city and its port, essential to the country, had to rise from their ashes while they were still hot.
The French State entrusted Auguste Perret, one of the greatest architects of his time, with the reconstruction of Le Havre. Perret was contemporary with Le Corbusier and was also his master, this humanistic architect turned concrete into a noble material, a material that he used in the same way as stone.
A reconstruction both revolutionary and humanistic
Perret fulfilled the dream of all urbanists by expressing his personal style over an area of 133 hectares. He supervised the reconstruction works of the city centre until his death in 1954 and he left a masterpiece behind him. The innovative architect created “the city in tempo, like a musical harmony”: the wide avenues and the rigorous layout of the streets give to Le Havre a monumental and poetic dimension thanks to the wide openings on to the sky and the sea.